I blame S’East governors for lack of Igbo language films
Posted by Sylvester
on Saturday, February 8, 2014
0
Sponsored Advertisement?
As one of the pillars of the film industry in Nigeria, Ifeanyi Dike’s contributions reflect in many areas, having championed several positive changes.
This has often been greeted with a lot of respect and goodwill from his colleagues. In this interview, he shares glimpses of one of the most trying periods of his life and career with NGOZI EMEDOLIBE. Excerpts:
Let’s start with the boy, OzzyBosco, whom you have been seen with severally. Are both of you related in anyway?
Well, I will say he is and he is not. He is a smart kid, who has a lot to offer the industry; that is why I am involved in making sure that the dream does not die. And if you judge based on what we are seeing here today, you will notice that the dream is very much alive. In a nut shell, I see myself as one of those making sure that the dream and the talent remain so that the child we are looking at today would grow to be counted amongst the greatest artistes to have come out of Africa.
Do you think he has the potentials to go that far?
That is what my motivation is about him. You know that I have worked with artistes all my life and when I see the one with great potentials, not just mere potentials, I know. The OzzyBosco you are looking at has it.
Let’s leave OzzyBosco and return to your life. How has it been since you returned from the medical trip to India?
I really thank God. It’s been great and God has been awesome. I have resumed my normal life, and I owe all gratitude to Him, because He did not disappoint me.
Will you like to recount your ordeal when the news broke that you were down with kidney failure?
It is stale now. It is not what I will like to dwell on. I thank God that I had kidney problem and then I am alive here today talking with you. I have been delivered. I had a successful surgery; you know having a surgery is different from having a successful one. I want to thank God for all those who supported me during the trial. I want to say that my wife was very instrumental to my survival.
She was there throughout the struggle. I am so happy that I am alive today. My being alive is a testimony that God is on the throne. Anything you ask from God in prayers, He is going to do it for you, especially when your hands are clean.
Has the experience changed your perception of life and friendship?
Of course, you know sometimes you will think you know it all. At times, you may think that those you trust most will come to your aid in times of trouble, but now I have realised that it does not work that way. I have realised that anybody that God has not fixed for you, can never help you. I will tell you that all those I felt would come to my aid disappointed me. But all those that came to my aid at last were people I was surprised that they even came, because I was not expecting help from such quarters. It has proven to me that people could be looking at you from a corner, and you will not know they have your interest at heart. But those you trust the most will even fail you. We are all humans. Now I have learnt that the only person one should trust is God. You might have a very rich relative who would not be interested in your welfare. But a stranger will come and bail you. It is not as if the relative of yours hates you and does not want to help you, it is just that God has not placed it in his heart to help you.
Do you think it is a terrible thing for a rich relative to do?
My experience has taught me that it is not. God may have done that to prove a point. That is the way I see life now. My experience has changed my perception of life.
Can you recollect one of those unlikely places you got help from?
For goodness sake, I do not know the Governor of Lagos State, Raji Fashola, but he heard of this and gave me support. I have never been to Aso Rock, but the President, Goodluck Jonathan also gave me support. Some of my friends and clients also gave me support. I mean clients I never really expected support from, because I was not really telling them, but when they heard, they came to my aid without having me ask for it. I thank God that somebody like Segun Arinze was the head of the Actors Guild of Nigeria, AGN, at that point. You know I am the chairman, Board of Trustees of the guild; because of my position the guild rallied round and wrote letters to the different people and they came to my aid. If someone like Segun was not the President of the guild, may be nobody would be interested in the case. But Segun took it upon himself alongside his executive members to do something. There is also this member of the Anambra State House of Assembly, whom I would not want to mention his name. He is just a friend to another friend of mine; he has never met me, but he was there when my case was mentioned and he took it upon himself. He tried for me and today we are very good friends. There are many other people who really surprised me, not in terms of monetary support but with prayers and concern. I still give God the credit because He put it in the heart of these men and women to help.
The entertainment industry has been talking about insurance policy for their members, has this experience also shaped your importance of this?
Talking about insurance, you know we are Nigerians; the insurance companies don’t even do enough sensitisation to educate anybody. To tell you the truth, most people are ignorant of insurance policies. How many insurance commercials have you seen? They don’t even hold talk shows to educate people on how this programmes work. I think the sector should do more to educate Nigerians on the need for this. That is why I respect the present President of the Actors Guild of Nigeria, Ibinabo Fiberisima, I call her ‘Madam President’. I think she is a princess. She is a lady with vision. Ever since she became the head of the guild she has introduced so many initiatives to uplift the life of the average actor. This insurance policy is one of them. The actors are getting aware now that anyone who refuses to take the policy has himself to blame in times of adversity. The package she has is juicy. I usually tell people that it is not just about being the President of the guild but being the President who can lead people because you know the way. Any President who does not have the key to open any door is just a sitting duck. But Ibinabo is a powerful girl and also has the interest of the artistes at heart. She has been opening doors for the artistes. That is why I am pleading with the artistes to give her another chance to go for the presidency of our guild. It will be good.
It appears having a lady as the President of the Actors Guild is bringing a lot of changes?
Yes, that is why I am also appealing for more women to come out and take part in the affairs of the guilds in Nollywood. We need them at this stage. The y should stop complaining about not having a fair share in the industry. They should come out, and we will support them. The Board of Trustees which I head has decided to throw it open to bring in more women into leadership positions in the industry.
What’s been happening to your television programme?
I thank God. I do not just have a television programme, I also have a radio show. The radio show is called Talk of the Town on Star FM in Lagos. It holds on Saturday mornings.
What is it about?
Talk of the Town talks about any issue that is topical, anything that is dominating the discussion makes the theme of the show every week. It cuts across all genres, from politics to religion to entertainment, anything. It is also a platform for sensitization. I also have a TV programme called Sunday Delight, which is a live show that runs for one hour on NTA Channel 10. It is on StarTimes and GOTV too. It is a live show so people can call in.
How did your health affect your programmes and how have you managed to bounce back?
Of course if you are sick you will not do a programme. What would be paramount on your mind would be to survive. Throughout the duration of my sickness, I was primarily concerned with getting well first. However, sometimes I would remember that I could not do something I am passionate about, but I thank God for His mercies now. The doctors told me when I was leaving the hospital that I should not return and remain inactive; they said I should be active.
How does the assistance of President Goodluck Jonathan to Nollywood make you feel as a stakeholder?
President Jonathan is the only President that has shown full support to the industry. Most people see entertainment as a joke, but I thank God that Nollywood has put Nigeria on the map and the whole world still sees something positive about the country through the eyes of Nollywood. The President has realised that a lot of image laundering is achievable through Nollywood. We have done a lot for the country. We have literally run without the support of government until lately. It will not be in the interest of anyone to ignore such a sector. That is why I commend President Jonathan.
You do not have any issues with how it is being done?
I do not have any issues save from the fact that the grants should go through the associations. I believe for it to touch the lives of all the actors, it must go through the associations. If you say you have provided, N3bn that is not accessible to the practitioners, it will achieve nothing. They should channel the grant through the heads of the guilds. That will be more impactful.
But you are aware that lots have happened in Nollywood; producers have gotten loans from a bank that was never paid?
It is not Nollywood please. That is the mistake and misrepresentation they gave the industry.
I mean what happened between some producers and Ecobank?
In that case a group of people organised themselves under that platform, but I mean the associations. I want you to correct that impression. Nollywood was not given any money by the bank. Money was given to a group of people who approached the bank individually. For God’s sake the people that gave the money ought to have investigated further and how will they be able to do so? It is by dealing with the association or the guilds.
What are your immediate projects in terms of filmmaking?
I am coming up with a drama, Mazi and Family, it is a sitcom. The script is ready but the problem I am having now is whether to make it an English language sitcom or one in Igbo language. Anytime I want to shoot some interest will say, please we do not have Igbo content on DSTV. I am considering that. I am still consulting because it is a business. That is why I blame southeast governors for the place of Igbo culture. They should sponsor or support initiatives to uplift Igbo language and films but they do not do so. If you travel for Christmas you will realise that a lot of young men are speaking English even in the villages. And the village people are copying them. In the hinterlands, you could hear people speaking Hausa and Yoruba. It is a sad situation and something needs to be done about this. State governments in the south east should initiate progarmmes to salvage the perception. When I was doing a TV programme called Igbo Kwenu, I would go for sponsorship drive and the rich Igbo men will be telling me; are you a mad man, do you want to teach us Igbo language? I will tell them I am doing so for your children not you. It is the lack of support that has pushed everyone to films that will be more rewarding financially at the detriment of Igbo content. We need funds to do so. May be we have to wait until I get into power.
You are looking towards politics?
Everyone is a politician. I also want to serve Nigeria. But I do not want to serve the way people are serving. Serving the country should have a human face. We should look towards empowering people.
This has often been greeted with a lot of respect and goodwill from his colleagues. In this interview, he shares glimpses of one of the most trying periods of his life and career with NGOZI EMEDOLIBE. Excerpts:
Let’s start with the boy, OzzyBosco, whom you have been seen with severally. Are both of you related in anyway?
Well, I will say he is and he is not. He is a smart kid, who has a lot to offer the industry; that is why I am involved in making sure that the dream does not die. And if you judge based on what we are seeing here today, you will notice that the dream is very much alive. In a nut shell, I see myself as one of those making sure that the dream and the talent remain so that the child we are looking at today would grow to be counted amongst the greatest artistes to have come out of Africa.
Do you think he has the potentials to go that far?
That is what my motivation is about him. You know that I have worked with artistes all my life and when I see the one with great potentials, not just mere potentials, I know. The OzzyBosco you are looking at has it.
Let’s leave OzzyBosco and return to your life. How has it been since you returned from the medical trip to India?
I really thank God. It’s been great and God has been awesome. I have resumed my normal life, and I owe all gratitude to Him, because He did not disappoint me.
Will you like to recount your ordeal when the news broke that you were down with kidney failure?
It is stale now. It is not what I will like to dwell on. I thank God that I had kidney problem and then I am alive here today talking with you. I have been delivered. I had a successful surgery; you know having a surgery is different from having a successful one. I want to thank God for all those who supported me during the trial. I want to say that my wife was very instrumental to my survival.
She was there throughout the struggle. I am so happy that I am alive today. My being alive is a testimony that God is on the throne. Anything you ask from God in prayers, He is going to do it for you, especially when your hands are clean.
Has the experience changed your perception of life and friendship?
Of course, you know sometimes you will think you know it all. At times, you may think that those you trust most will come to your aid in times of trouble, but now I have realised that it does not work that way. I have realised that anybody that God has not fixed for you, can never help you. I will tell you that all those I felt would come to my aid disappointed me. But all those that came to my aid at last were people I was surprised that they even came, because I was not expecting help from such quarters. It has proven to me that people could be looking at you from a corner, and you will not know they have your interest at heart. But those you trust the most will even fail you. We are all humans. Now I have learnt that the only person one should trust is God. You might have a very rich relative who would not be interested in your welfare. But a stranger will come and bail you. It is not as if the relative of yours hates you and does not want to help you, it is just that God has not placed it in his heart to help you.
Do you think it is a terrible thing for a rich relative to do?
My experience has taught me that it is not. God may have done that to prove a point. That is the way I see life now. My experience has changed my perception of life.
Can you recollect one of those unlikely places you got help from?
For goodness sake, I do not know the Governor of Lagos State, Raji Fashola, but he heard of this and gave me support. I have never been to Aso Rock, but the President, Goodluck Jonathan also gave me support. Some of my friends and clients also gave me support. I mean clients I never really expected support from, because I was not really telling them, but when they heard, they came to my aid without having me ask for it. I thank God that somebody like Segun Arinze was the head of the Actors Guild of Nigeria, AGN, at that point. You know I am the chairman, Board of Trustees of the guild; because of my position the guild rallied round and wrote letters to the different people and they came to my aid. If someone like Segun was not the President of the guild, may be nobody would be interested in the case. But Segun took it upon himself alongside his executive members to do something. There is also this member of the Anambra State House of Assembly, whom I would not want to mention his name. He is just a friend to another friend of mine; he has never met me, but he was there when my case was mentioned and he took it upon himself. He tried for me and today we are very good friends. There are many other people who really surprised me, not in terms of monetary support but with prayers and concern. I still give God the credit because He put it in the heart of these men and women to help.
The entertainment industry has been talking about insurance policy for their members, has this experience also shaped your importance of this?
Talking about insurance, you know we are Nigerians; the insurance companies don’t even do enough sensitisation to educate anybody. To tell you the truth, most people are ignorant of insurance policies. How many insurance commercials have you seen? They don’t even hold talk shows to educate people on how this programmes work. I think the sector should do more to educate Nigerians on the need for this. That is why I respect the present President of the Actors Guild of Nigeria, Ibinabo Fiberisima, I call her ‘Madam President’. I think she is a princess. She is a lady with vision. Ever since she became the head of the guild she has introduced so many initiatives to uplift the life of the average actor. This insurance policy is one of them. The actors are getting aware now that anyone who refuses to take the policy has himself to blame in times of adversity. The package she has is juicy. I usually tell people that it is not just about being the President of the guild but being the President who can lead people because you know the way. Any President who does not have the key to open any door is just a sitting duck. But Ibinabo is a powerful girl and also has the interest of the artistes at heart. She has been opening doors for the artistes. That is why I am pleading with the artistes to give her another chance to go for the presidency of our guild. It will be good.
It appears having a lady as the President of the Actors Guild is bringing a lot of changes?
Yes, that is why I am also appealing for more women to come out and take part in the affairs of the guilds in Nollywood. We need them at this stage. The y should stop complaining about not having a fair share in the industry. They should come out, and we will support them. The Board of Trustees which I head has decided to throw it open to bring in more women into leadership positions in the industry.
What’s been happening to your television programme?
I thank God. I do not just have a television programme, I also have a radio show. The radio show is called Talk of the Town on Star FM in Lagos. It holds on Saturday mornings.
What is it about?
Talk of the Town talks about any issue that is topical, anything that is dominating the discussion makes the theme of the show every week. It cuts across all genres, from politics to religion to entertainment, anything. It is also a platform for sensitization. I also have a TV programme called Sunday Delight, which is a live show that runs for one hour on NTA Channel 10. It is on StarTimes and GOTV too. It is a live show so people can call in.
How did your health affect your programmes and how have you managed to bounce back?
Of course if you are sick you will not do a programme. What would be paramount on your mind would be to survive. Throughout the duration of my sickness, I was primarily concerned with getting well first. However, sometimes I would remember that I could not do something I am passionate about, but I thank God for His mercies now. The doctors told me when I was leaving the hospital that I should not return and remain inactive; they said I should be active.
How does the assistance of President Goodluck Jonathan to Nollywood make you feel as a stakeholder?
President Jonathan is the only President that has shown full support to the industry. Most people see entertainment as a joke, but I thank God that Nollywood has put Nigeria on the map and the whole world still sees something positive about the country through the eyes of Nollywood. The President has realised that a lot of image laundering is achievable through Nollywood. We have done a lot for the country. We have literally run without the support of government until lately. It will not be in the interest of anyone to ignore such a sector. That is why I commend President Jonathan.
You do not have any issues with how it is being done?
I do not have any issues save from the fact that the grants should go through the associations. I believe for it to touch the lives of all the actors, it must go through the associations. If you say you have provided, N3bn that is not accessible to the practitioners, it will achieve nothing. They should channel the grant through the heads of the guilds. That will be more impactful.
But you are aware that lots have happened in Nollywood; producers have gotten loans from a bank that was never paid?
It is not Nollywood please. That is the mistake and misrepresentation they gave the industry.
I mean what happened between some producers and Ecobank?
In that case a group of people organised themselves under that platform, but I mean the associations. I want you to correct that impression. Nollywood was not given any money by the bank. Money was given to a group of people who approached the bank individually. For God’s sake the people that gave the money ought to have investigated further and how will they be able to do so? It is by dealing with the association or the guilds.
What are your immediate projects in terms of filmmaking?
I am coming up with a drama, Mazi and Family, it is a sitcom. The script is ready but the problem I am having now is whether to make it an English language sitcom or one in Igbo language. Anytime I want to shoot some interest will say, please we do not have Igbo content on DSTV. I am considering that. I am still consulting because it is a business. That is why I blame southeast governors for the place of Igbo culture. They should sponsor or support initiatives to uplift Igbo language and films but they do not do so. If you travel for Christmas you will realise that a lot of young men are speaking English even in the villages. And the village people are copying them. In the hinterlands, you could hear people speaking Hausa and Yoruba. It is a sad situation and something needs to be done about this. State governments in the south east should initiate progarmmes to salvage the perception. When I was doing a TV programme called Igbo Kwenu, I would go for sponsorship drive and the rich Igbo men will be telling me; are you a mad man, do you want to teach us Igbo language? I will tell them I am doing so for your children not you. It is the lack of support that has pushed everyone to films that will be more rewarding financially at the detriment of Igbo content. We need funds to do so. May be we have to wait until I get into power.
You are looking towards politics?
Everyone is a politician. I also want to serve Nigeria. But I do not want to serve the way people are serving. Serving the country should have a human face. We should look towards empowering people.
Tagged as: News
Lisa Okeke
Lisa is the head editor of Daily News 9ja. Stay upto date with breking news and live stories by following us on twitter and Facebook
Get Updates
Subscribe to our e-mail newsletter to receive updates.
Share This Post
Related posts

0 comments: